Friday, April 30, 2010

He Can Hear!!

Yay!! We are so happy & relieved Kobe is done with his surgery. He had to get tubes in his ears & his adenoids out. We had to do this because Kobe couldn't hear. We wondered for awhile about his hearing & this year it just seemed to get worse & worse. We had noticed that if we were behind him & talked to him, he couldn't hear us. We think he was doing a lot of reading our lips. When we got him checked out, he only had like 50% of his hearing. We got the surgery done at Primary Children's. It was just an out patient procedure. We felt really bad for him all day though, because he had to fast all day. The only thing he could have was a 7-Up at lunch. His surgery wasn't until the evening. We sent him to school. At lunch Riley & I went over & took him a 7-Up from the Maverick & we sat with him. He was so super good!! He didn't even complain once, & let me tell ya, this kid loves his food!! We had to be to the hospital at 4. We had to get checked in & a nurse practitioner came in & checked him out. Then we got to go into a room full of toys & video games. Whoever thought of that is so awesome. The surgery was supposed to be at 5:15, but they were running behind. Kobe was really nervous & anxious so I asked them to give him some versade (I have no idea if I am spelling that right??). It makes you really relaxed. After they gave that to him he had to lay in a stretcher. At 6:15 they came to get him. They let me walk with him to right outside the operating room. He had tears in his eyes when I had to say goodbye. Let me tell ya, it was so hard for this Mama to let them take her little guy away from her. Even though you know they will be taken good care of- it's a scary thought. His Dr. & nurses were so awesome. They helped him feel comfortable around them. I was so thankful for them! While Kobe was in surgery, we (me, Riley, & my parents) went down to the cafeteria for a drink. The whole procedure only took like 25 minutes. When he got out, they came & got Riley & I. We got to go stand by his bed as he was waking up. They told us to be prepared for a grumpy kid. They said most kids who get put to sleep wake up not very happy. That was the complete opposite for Kobe. He was just how he always is. Happy & up beat. He did have a really bad cough when he woke up. The nurses said the air pipe must have bothered his throat. He got to have a root beer slush. He liked that. He was really out of it for a while though. I kept telling him he was all done. He would keep asking me the same questions over & over. We got to wheel him out in a wagon because he was so out of it. He could barely keep his head up. When we got home Riley asked him how everything sounded. He said everything was louder. We were so happy!! I am so happy & relieved all went well & it is now over with.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a relief to have over with!! I am so glad that his hearing is back and he is doing well. Love ya Kobe!!!!

Debbie Ingles said...

I am so glad everything went smoothly. I can't believe he couldn't eat all day though, that is so hard.

Chase said...

I'm so glad everything went well. Kobe - you are one tough boy! Good job!

pammy said...

Glad that is over! What a trooper! I remember when Ryan was 5 and had his tonsils out! They do so much better getting these pesky things out that cause problems!! Good job Kobe! xoxoxo

Chris and Jamie said...

My nephews had theirs done at Primary's as well and my sister said they were really good. The result that surprised us was how much better the boys slept since having the procedure done. Glad that he's doing well!

Hev said...

So glad that he can hear better now and that it is all over with! :) What a tough guy!! I bet you are one proud mommy! :) you and your family are beautiful :)

Amelia said...

It is so scary. I had that done with all 3 of my kids last summer!

Teri said...

What a sweet, brave boy you have! Brave Mama & Daddy too! That is so hard! I am glad all went well & Kobe can hear!